Sunday, August 25, 2019

An odyssey to Iberia; Camino de Santiago

Prologue; the Preparation

My friend has decidedly set this quest to mark her 50th birthday.  She's been planning it for years, as she is a planner (typical Virgo), and says it builds her anticipation.  At last the time to depart approaches, we leave on Monday and - barring any complications - aim to start walking on Wednesday August 28, 2019.
I plan too, albeit to a lesser degree, moreso for contingencies.  I wonder if I've become a worrywart, the vestigial remnants of the Be Prepared motto we so readily pledged as Girl Guides.  It seems our pre-teen capacity to find ourselves in trouble or an emergency was a lot smaller back then; we operated within the confines of established rules and laws like good girls and request assistance from adults if things get out of hand.  Now I am the adult.  My backyard has greatly expanded across land and oceans, the opportunity to meet thousands of new friends if I choose (note I'm pretty introverted so already that just sounds exhausting), and many new experiences available to sample.  Those perks all come with increased responsibilities as there's little or no safety net should I fall.  I am responsible for my own safety, registration, time, money, belongings... thus I pack accordingly and literally bear this weight on my shoulders.
My first challenge is to pare everything I usually carry.  The Camino is foremost an ancient trade route, and there will be merchants, shops and services available to purchase whatever we don't bring from home.  Still I must resist temptation to bring everything  'just in case', it's a deeply ingrained compulsion that could prove to be a handicap.  In this case I am aided(?) by my usual frugality and my choice to fly with a cheap economy seat which limits my carry-on baggage by both weight and dimension.  I have fussed over my gear for the past two weeks and feel I am adequately Prepared.
Be Prepared.  Or as my father is fond of saying, "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." Man that just sounds grim.  I know we will pass plenty of roadside memorials to those that have died along The Way.  One aspect of the trek is to confront the limitations of our flesh and test our capabilities.  Currently I can walk 10km easily but am slow on inclines, I hope this will improve with practice.  It's going to be hot in the late summer in continental climate, but cold with evenings and elevation.  Above all we must keep hydrated and take care of our feet.
I have few tiny details as 'goals', mostly geocaches.  I have installed c:geo on my tablet and stored 677 geocaches offline - not all I will attempt, just to have them available sans WiFi.  Mostly I will walk The Way, the walking itself a challenge and sort of meditation.  Get a sense of the history and the spirit of all those who came before me and those who are yet to come.  Feel humble and insignificant as one of many cows  plodding along their set path.  Accept what comes, adapt if the need arises.
My goal I guess is to walk far and don't give up.  Mind you far and give up are relative and somewhat fluid in definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment