Thursday, March 27, 2014

A restless breeze ushers in spring

My friend had invited me to guest author a post on her travel blog, about why I travel and my favorite places.  After a few days of consideration I decided on a few pretty places in Ireland, and realized that my visit there was almost exactly a decade ago. 
Perhaps it was the ambiance of St Patrick's Day here in Vancouver.  Although a watered-down imitation of the traditional honest craic in the small-town pubs that speaks of toil and tears and hope, it was still nice to hear the familiar tunes on exotic instruments - the Uillean pipes.  Most of the repertoire performed by several bands that weekend I've had on CDs at home for a decade, so my mind knows the melody as deeply ingrained as if I could pipe it myself.
Perhaps it was my imminent birthday at the end of the month, reminding me that another year has passed, and I should take stock of what I have done and what is still left to do, both as milestone accomplishments and whimsical wishes.  Not that I have aging anxiety or envy of my peers, but I feel recognition and annual reassessment is important.  You reap what you sow.
Perhaps it's something in the stars, that the sun enters my zodiac sign Aries.  A tarot reading suggests that change is lurking in the periphery, and that _thinking_ about it will only get me so far, change will manifest only with my actions.  A few other cards highlighted inspiration, creativity and light renewing amidst darkness and dormancy.
So in the past week I've tried to touch base with as many of my seldom-visited friends as I can, I've started reading a new book and enjoying it so far, I've helped friends with their garden and preparing for work to do in the strata-bound property I live.  Small actions - or are they simply distracting activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment