Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Welcome to geocaching!

I had a nice birthday-few-weeks, seeing my friends and loved ones where/whenever we could get together.  I received a GPS for my birthday, and can finally participate in an activity that has interested me in the back of my mind for awhile: geocaching.  This seems ideal for me - walking/hiking as easily or as difficult as I choose, with a quest to find silly treasure and leave my mark in a little book just to say I've been there, all the while noticing details around my environment.  The tricky part for me is just the technological aspect, uploading coordinates etc to my device from www.geocaching.com, which isn't all that difficult - just daunting for someone typically leery of such gizmos.  Also requires forethought into where I'm going to be, as I can't do this while in the field.

My first venture out geocaching was a short-notice visit to Oliver, and my parents joined in on the search for the more central ones around town.  My dad found the first one, which we all saw but he investigated.  I was surprised there were so many in a small town, and many were conveniently located near wineries.  Wine tasting was icing on the cake (speaking of which, thanks mom for homemade apricot-baby-food birthday cake+cream cheese frosting!) for a day of exploring in good weather a town other than my own.  We found nine caches that day, without difficulty.  We took special notice of the prickly pear cactus that loved clinging my shoes and seemed eager to come home with me.  Found no rattlesnakes, which is good when reaching into holes in the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment