Thursday, January 31, 2013

A date with the coroner...

As promoted by CBC radio, I attended the 2013 Human Library Project held at the Surrey Public Library on Saturday Jan 26; http://www.cbc.ca/bc/community/blog/2012/12/cbc-vancouver-human-library.html

It seemed like a novel (pardon the pun) idea to bring people together for one-on-one dialogue with someone you might never otherwise consider talking to.  I signed up to read the Coroner "book" for an insight into the career and otherwisejust general interest - most people that know me know I have a small collection of skulls to admire their form and evolutionary origins, and many think that's just macabre.  Having some time to kill (heh) before my 20 min appointment with the coroner, I signed out the Live-in Caregiver "book", for a very different read - a warm meeting with a mom from a foreign land, who misses her kids while raising other people's, and who genuinely believes in helping others.  A great read I'm glad I stumbled into!

It was both an informative and pleasant experience, and I look forward to doing it again next year.  I encourage others to request this be offered in their local libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment